Monday, September 11, 2006

Too Early for Goodbye


i dont know when the first tear fell
and i cant say when the last will fall
appearing endless,
they have broken past the levee's
of my eyelids
pushed forward by the force
of pain and hopelessness
lost, im drowning in the unknown

there is a need to see your face
to have your hand in mine
even if my fingers tremble slightly
i just want to sit in the room with you
let the silence consume me
because sitting silently in your presence
is better than being three hundred and twenty miles away
wallowing in heartache

and this isnt the way i wanted to use
you as a muse
this pen was to record the deeds
of our childhood times
and leave notebooks overflowing with deeds
of our seeds
so we would reflect on those times
in between celebrating sunrises and mourning sunsets
we would share laughs
as deeply rooted as our grey hairs
stronger and more profound than our wrinkles

i ask you
send a message wrapped as a dream
to be delivered by one of the ancestors
tellin me that you...you will be alright
cause its too early in our lives
for goodbye's
and my heart has your name
wrapped around an endless supply of
i love you's

and in this day and time
too many things go to waste
and God, it would be unfair
to let the words wilt away
especially during a time
when it seems those three words
used together
are the farthest things
from most of your childrens minds

yet, the words weigh this child down
and even though you have given me
an abundance of blessings
i selfishly ask for one more blessing...NOW
cause im not prepared at this time
to say a final goodbye
not when there remains in my heart
so many unused
i love you's
its just too early for goodbye

Copyright © 2006 Copasetic Soul

9 comments:

Blu Jewel said...

This is a wonderfully written and beautiful poem.

joey said...

"and my heart has your name
wrapped around an endless supply of
i love you's..."

so beautiful.

i'm sorry about it copa...(((heartfelt hug)))

Shelle said...

share laughs as deeply rooted as or grey hairs, and stronger than our wrinkles...beautiful copa.

Anonymous said...

I love this...

this reminds me somewhat of a poem I posted on my blog, "goodnight, my love".

I love the honest sentiments in this piece. I love the vulnerability. I love the pure expression of an undying love.

if only men would communicate like this all the time (and women too), it would probably make the love experience more enjoyable.

Thanks for sharing.

Ebony Stewart said...

Beautiful words brotha. I hope you have read this to her ears so that it may reach her heart, and revive her just from your poetry. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

CousinSarah said...

I wish I could fly up and bring half of our silly ass crew to smoother you in poet lovin. I am really thinking of you and worrying for you. I am keeping her in my prayers...and you.

Love ya brotha...and Im here even if you just need to talk about random things to keep your mind off stuff. This piece is beautiful..and Eb is right...she should hear it.

Angel said...

co-sign the previous sentiments. pray through it. around it. and in spite of it.

my coffee is always said...

send a message wrapped as a dream
to be delivered by one of the ancestors
tellin me that you...you will be alright
cause its too early in our lives
for goodbye's


love it... baby you have an ear... septembers are difficult.

Ms. Confessions said...

First time here.

That was a great poem!!!!