Sunday, October 01, 2006

an assignment for ya'll

ok, this is for the poets and non-poets who like poetry. find that poem that made you fall in love with poetry. you know, the one that tickled the back of your neck and post it in your blog. im sure the author and the poem can be found somewhere on the internet. here is mine:


Ms Nikki Giovanni's words (and those of the Last Poets)were the soundtrack to the saturday mornings of my youth. her words sailed through the air as my mother cooked and cleaned house while i, watched cartoons. half listening, i didnt know that her poetry had planted a seed in my subconscious that would grow strong than any oak tree. it remained strong through the flames of immaturity, bent a little during the winds of ignorance but extended its limbs and grew strong leaves when the light of enlightenment found me. this is the poem that tickled my neck from childhood to adulthood.


Ego Tripping (there may be a reason why)

I was born in the congo
I walked to the fertile crescent and built
the sphinx
I designed a pyramid so tough that a star
that only glows every one hundred years falls
into the center giving divine perfect light
I am bad

I sat on the throne
drinking nectar with allah
I got hot and sent an ice age to europe
to cool my thirst
My oldest daughter is nefertiti
the tears from my birth pains
created the nile
I am a beautiful woman

I gazed on the forest and burned
out the sahara desert
with a packet of goat's meat
and a change of clothes
I crossed it in two hours
I am a gazelle so swift
so swift you can't catch me

For a birthday present when he was three
I gave my son hannibal an elephant
He gave me rome for mother's day
My strength flows ever on

My son noah built new/ark and
I stood proudly at the helm
as we sailed on a soft summer day
I turned myself into myself and was
jesus
men intone my loving name
All praises All praises
I am the one who would save

I sowed diamonds in my back yard
My bowels deliver uranium
the filings from my fingernails are
semi-precious jewels
On a trip north
I caught a cold and blew
My nose giving oil to the arab world
I am so hip even my errors are correct
I sailed west to reach east and had to round off
the earth as I went
The hair from my head thinned and gold was laid
across three continents

I am so perfect so divine so ethereal so surreal
I cannot be comprehended except by my permission

I mean...I...can fly
like a bird in the sky...

9 comments:

Ebony Stewart said...

NICE Copa! She's always been a favorite of mine, I'll post something tomorrow. Thanks for sharing

Shelle said...

yes she would be the one...top of my list as well.
i turned myself into myself and was jesus....helluva line

my coffee is always said...

Alrighty Copa.. I hear ya.. but she's too easy.

Lyrically speaking said...

Great idea, I do have one poet that comes to mind, it was thanks to him that I got into poetry in the first place...i'll gladly post it

SLUMP FACADE said...

Brother, I have yet to find that particular poem or author. I love prose, however, I'm well read or into it to those depths. Maybe, I can do some research and get back to you... ...for now, my favorite piece is:

"Jaded..."

He thinks because I let him f*ck
I belong to him.
Unwilling to realize that hell ain’t the only place hot
and my p*ssy got needs too.
Mistook me calling his name for sincerity,
When in actuality I was fighting to stay in the moment.
Moaning because your palms were digging into my thighs.
Groaning because your dick kept “slipping” out—it was the wrong damn size.
Breathing heavy trying to trick my mind into cumming at least one time.
I ain’t gonna lie like I wasn’t feeling you at first.
I was.
But that’s before I “felt” what you had to offer
And discovered that’s all there was.
My bad boo.
It was never my intention to tease you.
I simply wanted to make my vibrator jealous…
No hard feelings…?

Fallen Angel is the author...

my coffee is always said...

got your post... i love nikki and i appreciate her.. always someone who can write what you need when you need it..

Angel said...

shoot! i dont know if i even remember... i was in all those accelerated and advanced programs and we were ALWAYS reading some damn writer that made me just be like, "uh..ok..." but when i read this post, the very first poem that popped in my mind was alice walker's "never offer your heart to someone who eats hearts." it goes like this:

Never offer your heart
to someone who eats hearts
who finds heartmeat
delicious
but not rare
who sucks the juices
drop by drop
and bloody-chinned
grins
like a God.

Never offer your heart
to a heart gravy lover.
Your stewed, overseasoned
heart consumed
he will sop up your grief
with bread
and send it shuttling
from side to side
in his mouth
like bubblegum.

If you find yourself
in love
with a person
who eats heart
these things
you must do:

Freeze your heart
immediately.
Let him--next time
he examines your chest--
find your heart cold
flinty and unappetizing.

Refrain from kissing
lest he in revenge
dampen the spark in your soul.

Now,
sail away to Africa
where holy women
await you
on the shore--
long having practiced the art
of replacing hearts
with God
and Song.

Angel said...

by the way...thanks slump for the shout-out...i'm blushing like crazy over here... :-)

Copasetic Soul said...

i loves me some Nikki