Monday, August 14, 2006

Austin...still on my mind!

Peace and Blessings,

Before I begin sharing what a great I had in Austin, I want to give a shout-out to Austin Neo-Soul for their second place finish at the National Poetry Slam! their very FIRST time slammin at the National level. the words 'proud of' really does NO justice to how I feel about the job they did. I know the hard work, long hours and sacrifices made made by ALL involved. so, congrads family for 'making it do what it do'

Now, a big THANK YOU to the Austin Neo-Soul family for making ME feel like a family member. from the amount of hugs and shows of emotion throughout the week, one would never guess that it was my FIRST time meeting ALL OF THEM.

Leaving THAT much love was a very hard thing to do...but I will always have the memories of: their first bout (when I KNEW they had the skills to make finals), going out to eat (now to lose the weight gained) and seeing ALL the smiles and tears after finals...the most fun happened at IHOP (thank you for not kickin us out,lol) where we where joined by the NuYoRican team....the fun we had then should fall like rain in any area where there are conflicts taking place. it would surely end the conflict.

favorite highlights of NPS 2006:

1.The Prom: seeing poets unwind after a week of slamming was great.

2. Jon Goode almost becoming indy champ on a piece about 'black women'...only if he hadn't gone over time

3. Austin Neo-Soul's team pieces.. the box with Chell in the middle spittin...with the others singing and beat-boxing...fiyah!

4. Krissie...volunteer cord. for being amazingly kewl and lookin out for me.

5. all the poets with whom I keep in contact with through livejournal, blogger and myspace....for the love!

6.Denvers piece at finals called 'pieces'...

7.the band that played at finals and their song about driving an SUV.

8.finally meeting Twain aka 'Funk Poet' from DC Baltimore and his much written about son Bootsy.

9. taking a 4 hour trip with Tony B. to the local african-american book store and to get some food.

there is more...later

4 comments:

Angel said...

you forgot about the crazy drunk judge from ego's that kept turning her back to the poets!!!! hahahahha
i miss you my short companion! who else am i gonna purchase big ass bottles of water for? please come back soon... :-)

CousinSarah said...

Man, we loved havin ya. Miss you already!! You fit in with the fam cause you crazy 'an a mo fo too homie. Nats was amazing. It was great to get to know you in person.

DING FARES MAN DING FARES!! HOOK IT UP!!

Shelle said...

copa, i didn't get to say my goodbyes...already missed the hell out of ya, we felt like old friends from the moment we picked u up from the airport. thanku for always looking out for me, fo sho part of this family.
much love

CousinSarah said...

BOY IF YOU DONT BLOG!!!!!!!! LOL