Friday, February 23, 2007

Tonights the Night

ok...so tonight is Saul Williams and a brother is nervous. i have narrowed my choices of poems down to two; the one from 3 post ago and the one im about to post here....this is just a rough draft, give a brother some feedback.



Confessions of a Daddy

She no longer fits into the curve of my arm
And I cant lay her head on my chest, while her legs tickle my stomach
Funny faces no longer cease a watershed of tears
The same way a kiss, no longer makes a boo-boos feel better

and we no longer sing-a-long with that purple dinosaur about how the wheels of the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round
the wheels of the bus go round-and-round
the same way we no longer sing-a-long about how every kid on the playground,
regardless of color has the potential to be a friend

a friend that doesn’t laugh at the uneven ponytails sprouting from her hair
filled with a rainbow coalition of berets and rubber bands
because her daddy did her hair
and everyone knows that daddy, really doesn’t really do hair
but he gets points for trying

like trying to be the best daddy-pony that a child has every had
as if the words “giddy up” somehow magically transformed me,
into a beautiful brown stallion
our living, became the open plains of Texas
and we rode towards the sun laughing,
riding faster than the wind of a Midwestern twister in the springtime

that space between the living and dining room became a rock incased valley
and we followed the tears of our Native American ancestors
the couch, became a snow capped mountain
we climbed its rough terrain all the way to the top
just so we…..could touch God

after our descent down that mountain, through that valley and back through the plains
back to that place from whence we came, my payment was recieved
in the smile of a young angel, who had yet to sprout her wings
but for 15 minutes her imagination had the ability to fly
to soar beyond the boundaries of the madness of this world
she was given a paint brush……and told to paint her dreams in the sky

these are the memories she kept in heart, that kept my name on her lips
during the time I didn’t bother to be father
when the burdens on my shoulders weighed me down
and my ego wouldn’t allow me to go from being a God in my daughters eyes
to just being…… a MAN

but I couldn’t erase the smile etched into my eyes
and couldn’t wash away her hand prints imbedded in mine
and I continued to hear a voice that reminded me why
why daddy, is the most beautiful word in the English language

I found redemption as she wrapped her arms around me
squeezed until I thought we, would became one
she placed in my heart a smile filled with love
sang to me the sweetest song ever sung
daddy, your home

she is 13 now, a princess on the fast track to becoming a queen
almost taller than me, yet our bond remains solid
I have given her poetry and our people’s history
she has givin me Bow Wow
taught me how to lean with it, rock wit it

i remind her daily…that she is beautiful
that she still has the ability to paint the sky with her dreams
do not let these demons hold her down
find a place to spread your wings baby..... and fly
and if you find yourself among the stars,
don’t worry cause your daddy will always know your shine

this poem was written by my hands
and in between every line, an I love you mixes with a I’m sorry
I wont pretend these words are a substitute for lost years
But if I ever leave this place, let these words hold you
on the days you wanna see my face
and I want you to know, there is no job this side of God
better then being your daddy
the most beautiful word in the english language


eghilliard,2006
bunny's boy publishing
all rights reserved

6 comments:

Ebony Stewart said...

DAMN DUDE! That was freakin awesome! Please don't stay away from the pen to long-unless it makes you write stuff like that!-smile.
I love this for more reasons than one-mainly because it shows that your a good father.

my coffee is always said...

Every girl would want to hear something like this from her father. i loved it. It better be the first piece you spit at Neo Soul, too!

Shelle said...

damn king you know how to make a girl cry. have to agree w/ 13, what girl would not want to hear this. no you can't make up for lost time, but look what a helluva father you are now. and she knows that too.

Unknown said...

To E,

It's more than just wonderful...it's timeless. Needless to say, she doesn't care about the lost years--she has you now, and that is all that counts.

Lyrically speaking said...

I wish I was there to watch you perform this piece, I am at loss for words...I hope someone was able to take pictures so you can share with us this magical evening. The poem deserves a standing ovation.

Angel said...

ditto to the previous commnets. *sigh* there really is nothing like father and his little princess. even if she doesnt understand it now, trust, that the words you write will be there for her to try and understand later. plus, this part is just too CAH-YUTE! "I have given her poetry and our people’s history
she has givin me Bow Wow
taught me how to lean with it, rock wit it"